Monday, February 22, 2016

Sew much to learn , and loving it!

Elle's quilt top is complete. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Will have to wait for the $$ to purchase batting and backing for both the girls' quilts



So, my sister-in-law gave me a couple of bags of fabric and stuffing.... and these 2 baby panels already sandwiched. I am attempting to hand quilt the barnyard one right now for practice and if all goes well, I will do the lions and tigers... for a dear friends' 1st Grandbaby, a little girl in June. Wish me luck!

I started a conversation in Canadian Quilters (fb group) about what batting I should use and best place to purchase. Well, lets just say, quilting is no longer a poor womans' hobby, The most cost-effective way to buy batting would be by the bolt. The least expensive place so far is Sew Sisters' in Toronto.  They don't carry what I want, a bolt of Hobbs 80/20 but will gladly order for $300 -  25% (boltreduction) = $225.  That means I am paying $7.50 a yd, considerably less than buying one quilt at a time for at least $50 a pop. Time to start saving my nickels and dimes.

Catch up with you again, real soon,




March 20th Update
I  finished quilting both panels.
I only have the binding to finish on the barnyard one.
I doubled the batting in the inner square, so when I quilted certain parts of the animals it gave it an almost 3D effect. Pretty happy with how it turned out as it is the 1st quilted project I did on my own from start to finish. It is going to my dear friend Kim, who is having her first grandbaby this summer. A little girl ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment